Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rainy night in Gold Coast


For the first time I can remember it is raining here in Gold Coast.  Apparently it rained a few nights ago, but I was in class.  Today however was yet another great day.  I didn't have any classes which is always nice due to the lack of tutorials during week 1, so I was able to sleep in a bit after a skype session back to the states.  (If anybody has a skype name and would like to chat feel free to email it to me and we can make it happen.)  Once I finally decided to stop being a slug, I went to lunch with Jorge, Alisha, Haley, Joe, Carey, Tyler, Steph, Christian and Scott. Not that you know who any of these people are, but oh well.  Once lunch was over, a few of us headed in to Pacific Fair to do some shopping.  I bought a bathing suit and some food, and then was ready to get out of the shopping center.  Once back on campus, a few of us went to try and solidify a trip. We are pretty settled on a 5 day boat trip that will take us to the outer reef, and to a few islands to relax and snorkel on.  The package allows us to stay on a huge boat each night and have at least one dive to check out the reef.

After a quick nap, dinner was on tap.  For some reason, every night around dinner I am extremely hungry.  It might be due to walking around EVERYWHERE in mid-80's temperatures, or my insatiable appetite.  

Now I am just relaxing in my apartment getting ready for a big day tomorrow.  I have two classes beginning at 9 am, and then we have club sign up day.  Apparently from what I have heard, clubs are a big deal around campus because most schools in Australia do not have any varsity sports so clubs are the next best thing.  As of now, I am planning on signing up for the scuba, surfing, soccer, and cricket clubs.  Hopefully my schedule will allow me to participate in each club.

After the club sign-ups, there is a pub crawl all around the area that begins at 3 pm!!!  That's right, 3 PM.  I however am in the group that leave school at 4:15.  Big difference huh?  The pub crawl is a big deal here.  The school sells about 900 shirts as tickets at $25 a pop.  Not a bad money making scheme when they sell out every year.  Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment