Sunday, January 11, 2009

Food

It is around 10 PM right now and food is the topic.  After the last post, I actually did something that I set out to do and got a bite to eat.  Life is tough.  

I found out on the plane from a nurse that Australia has bumped our beloved USA as the "fattest" country in the world.  I can honestly say I do not see it in the people here.  Maybe it is us fat Americans that come to visit that skew the numbers, but Australians, at least the ones I have seen, granted on the beach, are really in shape.  I can see how this could happen though.  I found a corner restaurant that served hamburgers and fish and chips etc.  I decided to stay pseudo American and ordered what I thought to be a chicken parm sandwich (actually called a chicken parmy) but ended up to be a plater.  I was fine with that until I saw what was exactly on the plate. What came out was a salad (healthy), 4 cucumber slices with dressing (kind of healthy), a deep fried chicken breast with homemade marinara sauce (delicious but kind of unhealthy), but instead of noodles of some size and shape, there was a bed of french fries (extremely unhealthy).

I know all of you Atkins Diet people who think starches are horrible and carbohydrates are the devil would prefer neither pasta or fries, but common fries?  And I am not talking skinny little guys you get from McDonald's that aren't even potato.  These were hard-core fatty steak fries. I'm not going to lie, I ate about 68% of them, but I figured I could because A. I am a competitive American with some pride (second place just won't work), B. it's all about culture, and C. they looked delicious.  So all in all it was great, and I tried to bring America back to the top.

Congrats USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment