Friday, January 30, 2009

Dodgeball

Since my last post, some cool things have happened.  After the gym on Wednesday, Jorge and I were going to watch some of our friends play dodgeball for Res Wars, but the night ended with me holding the trophy on the championship team.  Res Wars is a competition between the residence halls on campus with the winner, over the course of the semester, taking home $1000 to put into their building.  Since I do not live on campus, I thought I wasn't going to be able to participate, but after getting to the gym to watch, I decided to ask if I could play.  They said yes, and the rest was history.  I decided to join the B-Block Bandits team with Jorge and James, instead of the AC Red Devils with everybody I know.  It turned out that the decision was a good one because our team dominated.  
Playing made me remember my time in Philly when my housemate Tim decided he wanted to play dodgeball with the guests of the Inn, and then proceeded to ask for money outside train stations downtown with a cut off animal crackers tub. We eventually made enough money to purchase dodgeballs and had hellacious games in our house.  We never played with the guests, but it did bring some entertainment to the house.
According to James, an email was sent out to the participants and I was named Players Player (Australian name for MVP) for the night.  I got into a crazy zone and my team was awesome so things worked out.  Next up is ultimate frisbee.
Thursday found some more classes and a quick trip into Robina Towne Centre for some supplies.  Later in the night the guys got together to watch a movie because the ladies went out to the clubs.
Last night however was a bit crazier.  After having class and catching some sun by the pool, Jorge, Jim and I attended the White House Party on campus.  We all got dressed up pretty fancy and then went into the white tent on the green.  After paying a small fee, we got free drinks (champagne, wine, beer etc.) and food (finger foods and a white chocolate fountain station).  After 11, a bus departed for Surfers Paradise to a club.  We had a good time, but left early because we were all tired.
It's about time for laying by the pool and being a slug for the rest of the day.  Wish you were all here enjoying the weather and culture!

No comments:

Post a Comment